Ch. 7: False Advertising: Don't Back Your Client's False Claims!
Pt. 2: False Advertising Dos and Don'ts to Help You Avoid Lawsuits
With a creative world fraught with lawsuit potential, what can designers, ad agencies, and marketers do to avoid these risks?
- Verify any claims made by your client.
- Be careful when making any claims about health or safety features of products — the FTC watches these carefully and you'll need clear research demonstrating accuracy.
- Include fact checking as part of your editorial process.
- Remember that even vague claims (like that a product is a "game changer") can lead to problems if they're only partially true.
- Take your client's word that their claims are accurate.
- Assume your insurance covers false advertising. Professional Liability Insurance MAY cover false advertising lawsuits, but insurance generally won't cover a claim if you knew the ad made false claims.
Next: Ch. 8: Advertising Malpractice: What Is it and How Could it Cost You?